Award winner

Glamorgan student Donna-Louise Bishop has won a British Library competition with what judges described as ‘a superb piece of journalism’.

Donna-Louise, who is studying journalism modules as part of her Creative and Professional Writing degree, wrote the piece for her final 1,500-word feature assessment at the end of her second year studies.

The competition was judged by Faisal Islam, business correspondent  for Channel Four News. He described Donna-Louise’s work as "a superb feature on women builders. Entertained and informed in equal measure. The writer didn’t just develop a nicely paced narrative around her mother’s site experiences, but used that story to illuminate wider issues."

Donna-Louise, aged 20, and from Norfolk, is this year’s editor of Leek, the student union newspaper at the University of Glamorgan.  He prize is a week’s work experience on a national newspaper. 

She said: " I am very excited about winning the competition; it has come as a complete surprise to me. I am pleased that I have been able to bring recognition to the female construction workforce through my article."

The competition was part of the library’s Front Page exhibition, which celebrates 100 years of the British Newspaper. Details about the competition are at http://www.bl.uk/news/2006/pressrelease20060925b.html

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.