Old news is snow news

I rushed to three of the top local news websites this morning to get the latest on the weather, and found that they hadn’t woken up yet.

At 0749 today (Wednesday January 6) Media Wales’s top snow story was one about yesterday’s snow, warning of more to come on Wednesday, and it is now Wednesday (and has been for some time).

At 0754 the Swansea Evening Post’s website was still leading on yesterday’s story about a casino, but there was a little piece about school closures – for yesterday.

At 0756 the website of the South Wales Argus provided a link called ‘snow update’, which led me to a rather dull story about old people being warned to stay inside – published yesterday.

In the end I managed without them: my children’s school texted me about closures TODAY; First Great Western texted me about train disruption TODAY; and for any remaining news I went (again, predictably and somewhat reluctantly) to a BBC website which had been updated TODAY.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Old news is snow news

1. James Stewart says:

Why didn’t you listen to Radio Wales? From 0730 they were running a snow special on medium wave, giving out detailed information on school closures and travel problems. It reminded me of a time 20 or more years ago when my legendary colleague John O’Sullivan slept under his desk in the BBC Wales newsroom for several nights keeping the snow special on the air. Of course, websites have the edge even on radio since you can read and re-read the info – but that’s not so easy if you’re driving and want to know what’s on the road ahead.

2. Rob says:

Well, I didn’t tune it because I don’t like the thought that the BBC is the only show in town when it comes to news, even if it sometimes is. I wanted the papers to be better. Websites ought to have the edge, but (except, yawn, for the BBC) that wasn’t the case this morning.

3. James Stewart says:

For a wonderful account of how newspapers used to cover big snow stories in ‘the old days’ (1960s), have a look at Roy Greenslade’s blog:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/greenslade/2010/jan/06/national-newspapers-weather